January 29. 2008
Now latest anti-virus and anti-spam technologies used in Dr.Web 4.44 are available to enterprise users
The solution that has been successfully protecting information resources of SAS-Election, Russian railways. JSC, Rosnedvizhimost and hundreds of multi-affiliated companies for many years has got a new engine and expanded functionality
Dr.Web Enterprise Suite is a client-server application capable of protecting a company of any size: from small companies to enterprises with dozens of thousands of workstations in their networks. The product incorporates three basic components: the anti-virus server, the anti-virus agent and the administrator management console. Dr.Web Enterprise Suite performs the following tasks in a protected network:
- centralized (staff members are not involved in the routine) installation of anti-virus packages on protected computers (workstations and servers of a local area network);
- centralized configuration of anti-virus packages;
- centralized update of virus databases and programme components for protected workstations;
- monitoring of virus events and current status of anti-virus packages and operating systems on all computers connected to the server.
As usual Dr. Web Enterprise Suite server is available for several platforms, it can be installed on a computer running Unix as well as on a Windows machine. The new version supports a wider range of operating systems including 64-bt versions of servers, now it is also compatible with Sparc processors of SUN servers, both 32- and 64-bit architecture. The new version also supports IPv6 protocol.
The new version has been optimized for more efficient use of server CPU and memory resources. Protocols used for communication between servers in a multi-server anti-virus network have been modified and optimized.
To make it more convenient for an administrator the console distribution is supplied separately from the basic package which makes the distribution smaller and easier to install. The console also supports a wide range of OS.
The following changes have been done to Dr.Web Enterprise Suite 4.44 agent:
- installation configuration tools and the programme interface have been improved
- support of Windows Vista has been added
- now the programme features a spam-filter powered by VadeRetro technology that has already been successfully implemented in products from Dr.Web for Windows workstations and Unix mail servers families;
- Origins Tracing™ , non-signature technology used to search for unknown viruses has been added to traditional signature scan and heuristic analysis. Malicious objects detected using the new technology get “.Origin” extension to their file names. The new technology significantly improves detection of unknown malicious programmes.
- the scanner that uses GUI also includes an additional driver - Dr.Web Shield - designed to counteract rootkits. The driver is launched automatically as the scanner is started on a workstation (the agent);
- now workstations support mobile protection mode. Agents disconnected from the anti-virus server may receive updates from Dr.Web Global Updates System. It can be useful for employees who often leave their offices for a business trip
- now one can use environment variables to configure components of the anti-virus.
Users with valid licences to Dr.Web Enterprise Suite 4.33.1 can upgrade to the new version of the product free of charge. To upgrade to Enterprise Suite server 4.44 one just needs to run installation, all available databases, configuration file, encryption key and licence keys remain intact. If you have a multi-server anti-virus network you can install the new version on the master-server and update other servers using replacement of the repository. Detailed installation guidance, updated system requirements info, etc can be found in the new version of the administrator manual.
Low-cost migration to Dr.Web Enterprise Suite 4.44 – anti-virus+anti-spam
Doctor Web, Ltd. offers all users of Dr.Web Enterprise Suite a low-cost migration to the new version of the product featuring anti-spam protection. The migration has several benefits:
- One year licence to Dr.Web Enterprise Suite including anti-spam protection at a 12 month renewal price.
- The remaining duration of the previous licence will be automatically added to the new licence for Dr.Web Enterprise Suite – Anti-virus+Anti-spam.
Every user of Dr.Web Enterprise Suite willing to migrate to the new version featuring anti-spam protection may start using the new version right now, there is no need to wait for your current licence to expire regardless of when the licence has been purchased. When migrating, the new version of the product will protect as many objects as you already have licenced.
In order to migrate do the following:
- request renewal of Dr.Web Enterprise Suite Anti-virus+Anti-spam licence from Doctor Web, Ltd. partners
- enclose enterprise.key file with your request
- after having received a registration serial number register it at product registration page. Download key files
- replace key files as described in the Administrator manual.
Tell us what you think
To ask Doctor Web’s site administration about a news item, enter @admin at the beginning of your comment. If your question is for the author of one of the comments, put @ before their names.